Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Lome, Togo
Location: Opposition-announced gathering points in Lome include:
- Lome, Mission catholique Adidogomé (northwest Lome)
- Lome, Totsi Pharmacie Nation (northern Lome)
- Lome, The beach in front of the hotel Sancta Maria (southern Lome)
End point is opposite the College des Plateaux in the Casablanca neighborhood.
Event: Opposition political parties intend to protest against the Togolese government, with demonstrations expected to take place Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday – April 25, April 26, and April 28 – beginning in the morning and continuing until the early evening. The Government of Togo has not authorized the opposition’s march routes, setting up potential clashes with demonstrators. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence. If marchers deviate from approved routes, police often use crowd control methods such as tear gas.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid downtown Lome on protest days.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.