Location: Announced gathering points in Togo include:
- Lome, Mission catholique Adidogomé (northwest Lome)
- Lome, Totsi Pharmacie Nation (northern Lome)
- Lome, The beach in front of the hotel Sancta Maria Sancta Maria (southern Lome)
Event: Demonstrations expected to take place Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday – April 11, 12, and 14 – beginning in the morning and continuing until the early evening. Opposition political parties intend to protest against the Togolese government. The Government of Togo has not authorized these march routes. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence. If marchers deviate from approved routes, police often use crowd control methods such as tear gas.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid downtown Lome on protest days.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Lome, Togo
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444