Welcome to the American Center in Lomé, Togo. Formerly known as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, or Information Resource Center (IRC), the American Center – Togo has been transformed to take advantage of new technology, including the vast array of resources available on the Internet.
The Internet, which has opened new vistas of knowledge in the third millennium, has become a vital reference tool in our American Center. The core-collection consisting of 2 000 titles and 25 periodicals are available to the general public during regular hours (Monday to Thursday, 09:00 – 16:00.)
American Center – Togo provides Internet access to the mission’s key contacts and members for research purposes.
Accessibility to American Center – Togo: Library card-carrying membership is no longer available to all persons. People who desire to come to American Center – Togo are advised to make an appointment ahead of time with the staff.
Reference Services: American Center – Togo provides reference service to the mission’s key contacts and members. Other patrons may also come to the center at the regular opening hours for reference purposes. Under the guidance of the staff, these patrons will be showed how to find answers to their questions.
All enquiries and questions may be addressed to American Center – Togo at the circulation desk, by mail or by telephone.
The American Center’s mission is :
- On the one hand, to provide accurate and up-to-date information (factual, analytical) on the United States: history, politics, society and culture, bilateral relations between the United States of America and Togo.
- On the other hand, to provide informational logistics for researchers, students and other development actors on themes such as economic development, democracy and its corollaries, regional security and stability, education and training, health , IT.
American Center – Togo users have free access to:
- A collection of a thousand reference works – dictionaries, encyclopedias, almanacs, atlases, biographies, repertoires, etc.
- A collection of several American periodicals
- A Cyberspace with more than 20 computers, all connected to broadband Internet
- Free access to textual databases for retrospective research.
In addition to the reference services, the Center provides:
- Advice and assistance for research, particularly for dissertations, theses, studies and projects.
- Leadership, entrepreneurship and technology training for young Togolese leaders aged 18-35
- Internet research training programs. These programs are offered to institutions or groups of people.
- Selective dissemination of information on the basis of the informational profile of those concerned.
- Interactive public programs such as thematic debates, webchats and videoconferences.
- English discussion sessions, English film screenings and poetry workshops
You need our help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org