The U.S. Embassy has received information that the “Alliance Nationale Pour le Changement,” or ANC, has announced plans to have a peaceful march on May 27 starting around 2:00 p.m. in the area of Kodjindji, southeast of the Be market. Traffic may be impacted in all areas of Be.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Togo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Togo located on Boulevard Eyadema in Lome, at (228) 2261-5470, Monday – Thursday from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (228) 2261-5470.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.