U.S. Embassy Lomé, Togo
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Update on Political Marches of September 20-21
September 20, 2017
Nationwide protests took place on September 20 in the major cities of Lomé, Sokode, Kara, Atakpame, and Dapaong, as well as the smaller towns of Mango, Bafilo, and Vogan. Political party leaders are calling for continued protests tomorrow, September 21. The U.S. Embassy cannot confirm the cities and towns which may be impacted by tomorrow’s protests.
While some protests today occurred peacefully and without incident, there were reports of violence in others. In the northern town of Mango, one person was killed and several injured by gunfire, marking the second time in a month that a protest has resulted in fatalities. Security forces dispersed crowds in Kara, Atakpame, Dapaong, Bafilo, and Vogan, in some cases with rubber bullets. Security checkpoints and road closures led to traffic disruptions.
Traffic remains impeded by checkpoints in some northern cities, and travel along National Route 1 will likely be affected by protests tomorrow. The U.S. Embassy will observe normal working hours on September 21.
- Avoiding protests and marches on September 21;
- Being flexible with your travel plans, and rescheduling travel north of Sokode until September 22 or later, if possible;
- Traveling with caution on northern stretches of National Route 1, and approaching government checkpoints with caution and complying with detours or other instructions;
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security. Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Togo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Togo, located on Boulevard Eyadema in Lomé, at ConsularLome@state.gov or (228) 2261-5470. Working hours are Monday – Thursday from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (228) 2261-5470.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.