The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that the Ministry of Health has reported an outbreak of meningococcal meningitis in the Kara region. Togo lies in the ‘‘meningitis belt” which stretches from Senegal to Ethiopia. All U.S. citizens traveling to Togo in the dry season (December to June) are encouraged to consider getting the quadrivalent meningitis vaccine prior to travel. Please visit the Center for Disease Control’s website for more information on meningococcal meningitis.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Togo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Lomé . The U.S. Embassy in Lomé, Togo is located on Boulevard Eyadema and is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 – 17:00, and Friday from 7:30 – 12:30. The phone number is (228) 2261-5470. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is (228) 2261-5470.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.