The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that the Government of Togo’s security agencies will have increased security screening and control at various checkpoints in Lomé during the period immediately preceding, during, and possibly after the upcoming Maritime Security Summit. This event is scheduled to take place from October 10-15.
The Government of Togo will implement travel restrictions and limit access to certain areas of Lomé effective October 4 through the conclusion of the summit. The primary area of Lomé that will be affected is the Boulevard de la Republique, from Boulevard du 13 Janvier to the Avenue de la Nouvelle Marche. Togolese security forces will require a “laissez passer” (let pass) for vehicles to enter this area. If you do not have a laissez passer issued by the Togolese government for this occasion, please avoid the area as you may not be allowed to enter. Individuals traveling in Lomé during the summit are encouraged to have a photo ID with them at all times.
At this time, the U.S. Embassy is not aware of the location of specific checkpoints. Please be aware that traffic disruptions could impact areas surrounding the checkpoints.
Security checkpoints outside of the primary affected area may also be established by Togolese security forces. Be prepared for cursory visual checks to be performed at all checkpoints. To best navigate these checkpoints, particularly between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., please:
- Approach slowly.
- Dim headlights to parking lights.
- Turn on your interior lights to show the driver and passenger(s).
- Understand that they may wait to verify all approaching drivers before opening the barrier.
- If they ask any routine security-related questions, lower the window a little bit and answer politely.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Togo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Lomé. The U.S. Embassy in Lomé, Togo is located on Boulevard Eyadema and is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 – 17:00, and Friday from 7:30 – 12:30. The phone number is (228) 2261-5470. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is (228) 2261-5470.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).