ACS Frequently Asked Questions

American Citizen Services – Frequently Asked Questions

As of November 16, 2015, all passport applications and requests for notarial services will require an appointment, which can be made online at the following website:

For non-emergency services other than passports and notarial requests, walk-in hours are Thursdays from 14:30 – 16:00.

It typically takes two weeks to renew a passport. Additional visa pages take approximately 48 hours.

Please note that as of January 1, 2016, the Department of State will phase out additional visa page inserts to U.S. passports. For any applicants who wish to apply for extra pages between November 16 until December 31, please make an appointment at:

For additional information visit:

If you have been a victim of theft or crime, get to a safe place and contact the police by dialing 117. If possible, you may want to make a police report, which may be used for insurance purposes. If you need additional assistance, contact the Embassy at +228-2261-5470. If you are calling outside of working hours, press “0” to speak to the after-hours duty officer. 

If you or a U.S. citizen loved one become seriously ill or injured abroad, a Consular Officer from the U.S. Embassy can assist in providing information on appropriate medical services and informing your family or friends. If necessary, a Consular Officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility. You can find local medical information on our medical assistance page:

Visit for information about replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport. When traveling, please remember to carry a photocopy of your passport separately from your passport. In the event of loss or theft, the copy will facilitate issuance of an emergency passport.

To apply for a Togolese visa in the United States, travelers may contact the Togolese Embassy in Washington, D.C. at (202) 234-4212, or consult the Togolese Embassy website for the most current visa information. The Embassy of Togo is located at 2208 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008. To apply for a visa at a land border or the airport, travelers will need to fill out an application form, and provide a passport photograph and 15,000 FCFA (approximately $30).

A warden is an individual who volunteers to help facilitate communication between the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. citizens within his/her neighborhood and/or region.

Perhaps. Whether an American citizen can transmit citizenship to a child born overseas depends on several factors: whether one or both parents are U.S. citizens, whether the child is born in wedlock, when the child was born, and how long the parents have resided in the United States.

One common case is a child born in wedlock to a U.S. citizen parent and a non-American parent. For children born after 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States for five years prior to the birth of the child. In addition, two of those five years must be after the parent reached the age of fourteen. For children born before 1986, the parent must have spent ten years in the United States with five years after the age of fourteen. The five years is cumulative, so a few months here and a few years there can be used to add up to the five years. When both parents are American, they need only show that one of them has ever resided in the United States (no specified time). An American citizen mother of a child born out of wedlock needs to show that she spent one continuous year in the United States. An American citizen father of a child born out of wedlock must have the requisite five years and must have recognized the child and agreed to support the child financially. 

U.S. citizen parents should register their children as soon as possible, but it is imperative that registrations be processed before the children reach eighteen years of age. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) cannot be prepared if the child is 18 years old or older at the time the birth is reported. Persons born abroad who are more than 18 years of age and who believe they have a claim to U.S. citizenship, but who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen, should apply to the nearest U.S. Embassy for information and assistance in investigating their claim to U.S. nationality.

If you are a U.S. citizen but do not have enough physical presence to transmit your U.S. nationality to your child, please refer to both of the following websites concerning acquiring U.S. citizenship: Child Citizenship Act and Petitioning for an Immigration Visa for an Immediate Family Member.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2002 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).