Renouncing U.S. Citizenship

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship while abroad must appear in person before a U.S. consular officer at a U.S. embassy.  Renunciation is irrevocable.  It will not negate any outstanding child support or tax obligations in the United States and may result in a permanent ineligibility to travel to the United States for those still indebted to the United States Government.  And, if you do not have Togolese citizenship or hold a passport from another government, it could result in your inability to travel outside of Togo.

To receive the renunciation documents or to schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Lome to discuss citizenship renunciation, please make a Notarial appointment.  A non-refundable fee of $2,350.00 is required before renunciation documents will be accepted.  We only accept payment in U.S. dollars for this service.  You must also relinquish all citizenship documents, including any current U.S. passports, Consular Report of Birth Abroad and/or a U.S. naturalization certificate.