Emergency Contact Information for U.S. Citizens

In Case of Emergency

In emergencies, U.S. citizens may call or come to the U.S. Embassy during working hours (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 to 17:00 and Friday 7:30 to 12:30). For an emergency during normal business hours, please call (+ 228) 2261-5470. Please note this number is not for visa inquiries and should not be used for that purpose.

Outside of working hours, please call the U.S. Embassy at (228) 2261-5470 and press “0” to request to speak with the after-hours duty officer. 

Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad

Disclaimer: The Information Below is Provided for General Information Only and may not be Applicable to Your Specific Situation.

Contacting Home:  U.S. citizens in need of emergency financial assistance while abroad should first attempt to contact their family, friends, banking institution, or employer in the United States, or in their place of residence abroad, for financial help. If necessary, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Lomé, Togo can assist you in contacting your family members and friends.

Wiring Money Directly: You, or your family, friends, or associates, may wire money directly to a U.S. citizen abroad by contacting Western Union, MoneyGram, or other similar commercial money transfer services with offices overseas. However, you should be wary of international financial scams. See our scam alert page for more information.

Your Bank:  A destitute U.S. citizen abroad who has depleted his/her bank account or reached an overdraft limit can arrange for friends or family to deposit additional funds in his/her account. This option allows the traveler to use an ATM card to access the replenished account quickly.

Your Credit Card Company:  Your credit card company may be able to increase your credit limit temporarily.  Report a lost/stolen credit card immediately to your credit card company. Your credit card company may be able to send you a new card using an express delivery service. Your credit card company may also be able to verify your credit card account directly to your hotel, airline, doctor, or hospital to enable you to check out of your hotel, obtain replacement airline tickets, or receive other emergency services. A person receiving funds and/or a new credit card may need to present proof of identity such as a passport.  For Information about replacement of lost or stolen U.S. passports abroad. Inquire about the benefits your credit card company provides you overseas before you travel abroad.

When commercial money transfer options are not available, or their use is not feasible due to the circumstance of the emergency, family or friends may send funds to the Department of State for delivery to a destitute U.S. citizen abroad through the U.S. Embassy. The Department of State assesses a $30.00 fee to establish an account and transfer funds.

If all other options have been exhausted, limited financial assistance may be available on a reimbursable (loan) basis for temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents.

Limited emergency medical funding assistance may be available on a reimbursable (loan) basis for temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents. Click the following link for a list of hospitals and doctors: https://tg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/attorneys/.

If you or a U.S. citizen loved one become seriously ill or injured abroad, a Consular Officer from the U.S. Embassy can assist in providing information on appropriate medical services and informing your family or friends. If necessary, a Consular Officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility.

You can find a list of local doctors at the following link: https://tg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/doctors/.