This page provides information on applying for a new passport and renewing a passport. It also provides information on what to do if you need an emergency passport or if your passport is lost, stolen, damaged or mutilated, as well as details about fees, forms, and average passport processing times.
Please Note: All non-emergency passport applications require an appointment, which can be made online at the following website: https://evisaforms.state.gov/Instructions/ACSSchedulingSystem.asp. (In emergency cases, U.S. citizens may call or send an email or come to the Embassy during working hours. See below for more details on emergency passports). Please print your appointment confirmation page and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.
Average Processing Times:
New passport applications and passport renewals generally take 7 to 10 business days. Emergency passport applications are processed within 24 hours.
Hours of Operation
The Consular Section is open for emergency services Monday-Thursday from 7:30 to 17:00 and on Fridays from 7:30 to 12:30. U.S. citizens must make an appointment for all routine passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), and notarial services. For all non-routine services, citizens can call the Consular Section Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30. The section is closed on the first Wednesday of each month and on U.S. and Togolese public holidays.
The documents listed below are required for all U.S. passport applications:
In-person application (i.e. the applicant must be present at the Embassy).
Appropriate passport application form:
- DS-82(PDF 81 KB) for applicants(16 or older over 16 years old minors who are applying for their second passport after 16 and adults) who are renewing applying for the renewal of their passport or requesting an emergency passport.
- DS-11(PDF 100 KB) for first-time applicants, applicants under the age of 16 (including those applying for an emergency passport) or applicants who were under 16 when the previous passport application was submitted or applicants who are applying for the replacement of a lost or stolen passport.
- Applicants whose previous passport book/card has been lost or stolen must submit the DS-11(PDF 100 KB) and the DS-64(PDF 42 KB)
- Current or expired U.S. passport or other proof of identity/U.S. citizenship.
- Two passport photos (5 cm x 5 cm or 2 in x 2 in) with a white background and without eyeglasses
- Appropriate Fees. The Consular Section accepts cash in U.S. dollars or FCFA and payment with U.S. credit cards
Apply for a Passport
Please Note: Appointments for this service are required. To set up an appointment, visit the U.S. Citizens Services appointment system page. Appointments are available Tiesdays and Mondays through Thursdays, excluding the first Wednesday of each month excluding all observed holidays.
Apply for a Second Passport
Apply for a Second Passport
It is the Department of State’s general policy that no person should be in possession of more than one valid U.S. passport at a time. There are, however, a small number of cases, involving circumstances outside the control of the passport bearer, in which the issuance of a second passport may be appropriate.
For example, due to restrictive entry policies, or when the passport needed for current travel purposes is unavailable due to prolonged visa processing delays and neither a change of itinerary nor cancellation of the current passport coupled with issuance of a new passport is possible or practicable. In a case such as this, a second passport may be issued to the applicant.
The application must be accompanied with a written statement indicating the reason for a second passport. The second passport will be limited in time of validity and/or geographic area, allowing travel for the proposed specific itinerary. You will be requested to complete this statement (PDF 127 KB) and submit it with your application.
Fees for second passports are the same as regular passports, and the rest of your application should follow all of the instructions for the type of passport service you are requesting.
Payment of Fees at the Embassy
|Adult First Time Passport (Age 16 Years and Older)||$110.00|
|Minor Passport (Under Age 16)||$105.00|
|Consular Report of Birth Abroad||$100.00|
|Additional Certified Copy||$50.00|
We accept cash only in either U.S. dollars or CFA. The exchange rate will be USD 1 = F CFA 590.
NOTE: Each fee is rounded UP to the nearest 1,000 FCFA. We do not accept U.S. dollar bills that were issued before 1997 or U.S. dollar bills that bear additional markings.