Instructions for a Passport for a Minor under Age 16
To apply for a minor passport, please follow the steps below:
- Completed Form DS-11, Application for U.S. Passport. Please complete all white sections of the form legibly and correctly, but do not sign the form until you are in front of the Consular Officer.
- Current U.S. passport as applicable for renewals. If the minor does not have a U.S. passport, then you will need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship by providing original or certified copies of one of the following: certified birth record, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.
- All minor must appear in person before a consular officer.
- Evidence of relationship between minor and parent(s)/guardian(s). The minor’s original birth certificate is required – with translation if not in English. Other acceptable documents are adoption decrees (with adopting parents’ names) or court orders establishing custody or guardianship.
- Both parents/guardians of the minor with photo identification. Both parents must come to the Embassy with the minor to sign the application in front of a Consular Officer. If one parent is not present, he/she must submit an original, notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF 157 KB), to authorize the passport issuance for the minor. If both birth parents are not present, then a guardian must appear with a separate original, notarized consent form for each parent. This form is valid for 90 days. One parent may appear and sign if that parent also submits primary evidence of sole custody or authority to apply, such as a court order or death certificate.
- Passport photograph – please provide one color photograph that is: taken within the last 6 months; printed on high quality photographic paper; minimum size 5cm x 5cm (2″ X 2″); facing completely forward (head not turned); on a white background; religious head coverings may cover ears but must stop at the hairline and not obscure the forehead, eyebrows, or cheeks.