Ask a COVID-19 Question
- On March 6, 2020, the Togo Ministry of Health announced confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Togo.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- On March 19, 2020, Air France, Brussels Airlines, and ASKY temporarily suspended all flights to Lome International Airport. No passenger arrivals into Lome International Airport are currently permitted on still-operating Ethiopian Airlines flights from Addis Ababa, Newark, or Houston.
- We remind all U.S. citizens of the current Level 4 Global Health Advisory recommending against all international travel; U.S. citizens who choose to remain abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic do so at their own risk and expense.
- Ethiopian Airlines operates flights to the United States (Newark Liberty Airport) every Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday at noon. Flights may also occur other days of the week to Houston depending on demand. Although the cost of this flight is now higher than it was prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the cost of a Lome-Newark ticket is within the pre-pandemic market range for flights between the African continent and the United States.
- U.S. citizens still present in Togo who need to return to the United States must make their own flight arrangements through Ethiopian Airlines‘ reservation website or at the company’s Lome ticketing office located at Hotel Palm Beach, two blocks east of the French Embassy. If you are financially destitute and have no family members or friends in Togo or the United States who can assist in purchasing a return plane ticket, you may schedule an appointment online to consult a consular officer during regular U.S. citizen service hours, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
- All land border crossings and regional air connections with Togo, Ghana, and Burkina Faso are temporarily suspended. If you reside outside of Togo in West Africa, you will need to transit Addis Ababa to return to the United States via Lome, unless you will arrive on a chartered flight with prior Government of Togo clearance. Please contact the U.S. embassy in your country for assistance.
- The U.S. Embassy in Lome has reduced consular operations to emergency services until further notice. U.S. passport print facilities have resumed operations. You may submit a regular, full-validity passport application (DS-11 or DS-82) by making an appointment online.
- Please register your Togo contact information and encourage any U.S. citizens you know still present in Togo to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that they may receive the latest COVID-19 updates from the Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Lome.
- The Government of Togo has formulated a plan for the surveillance and quarantine of suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19, including those arriving on international flights.
- If you arrive on an international flight, you should expect to spend 14 to 21 days under government quarantine at Hotel Lebene in Lome. The U.S. Embassy in Lome will not intervene in your government-mandated quarantine unless the quarantine exceeds 21 days and you have had no positive COVID-19 nasal swab test result during that time.
- However, no passengers, including those with dual citizenship or a Togolese residency permit or national ID arriving on international flights, including from Addis Ababa, Newark, and Houston, are currently allowed entry in Togo. You may contact Ethiopian Airlines’ reservations desk in Addis Ababa or Lome to determine when you may be allowed to purchase or use a return ticket to Togo.
[Last update: July 2, 2020]