Tourism & Visit

Urgent information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: Entry of foreign nationals who were physically present within the 26 countries that comprise the Schengen zone, the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, the Islamic Republic of Iran, or the People’s Republic of China, not including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau within 14 days prior to their arrival at the port of entry in the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamations 9984, 9992 and subsequent proclamations.  There are certain exceptions to the suspension of entry, including exceptions for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, and their family members, among other exceptions listed in the proclamations.  If you reside in, have traveled recently to, or intend to transit or travel to China, Iran, the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, or the Schengen Zone (which, for purposes of the Proclamation, includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland) prior to your planned trip to the United States, we recommend you postpone your visa interview appointment until 14 days subsequent to your departure from the subject country(ies).  Additionally, if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, or believe you may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, you are strongly encouraged to postpone your visa appointment by at least 14 days.  Please reschedule your appointment at

A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are non-immigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

If you are a Togolese citizen and you wish to visit the US, you must obtain a visitor visa before boarding a flight to the United States. Even if you have a valid U.S. visa in hand, you may not be able to board the plane and/or enter the United States. The Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Patrol ultimately decides who has a right to enter the United States and for what purpose. Unlike the visas of many other countries, you may arrive in the United States on the expiration date of your visa provided you have an additional six months of validity remaining in your passport.

Here are some examples of activities permitted with a visitor visa:

Tourism and Visit (B-2):

  • tourism
  • vacation (holiday)
  • visit with friends or relatives
  • medical treatment
  • participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Business (B-1):

  • consult with business associates
  • attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • settle an estate
  • negotiate a contract

NOT PERMITTED on visitor visa:

These are some examples of activities that require different categories of visas and cannot be done while on a visitor visa:

  • most types of work, excluding short-term assignments while receiving pay abroad
  • paid musical and theatrical performances
  • arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft
  • work as foreign press, radio, film, journalists, and other information media
  • permanent residence in the United States